Blacksmithing 101- Forging a Hook
In this single-session, two-hour course you will learn the very basics of forging and leave with a complete hook project.
What to expect
- Introduction to the shop, safety rules, discussing goals, and tools
- Demonstration of hammer techniques in clay and steel
- double striking, and going off on your own if time allows
- Breaks may be taken as needed
What to Bring and Wear
- Natural fiber clothes (100% cotton, wool, linen, silk) that can get dirty.
- Closed-toe shoes, preferably leather boots or canvas shoes that can get dirty
- Safety glasses If you wear glasses, consider picking up some safety glasses that are designed to go over your glasses. Safety glasses are required in the shop.
- Earplugs or Earmuffs Please protect your hearing; long exposure to loud noises can cause hearing loss.
- Water, forging will make you thirsty!
- Snack working in the shop uses up a lot of energy, please bring a snack or two
*Students must demonstrate excellent listening, attention, and fine motor skills before working with hot metal.
*Ages 10-13 must have a guardian present
*All participants will need to sign a Release of Liability form prior to class
Click BOOK NOW to select the time and date for your session!
firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions